There are many ways people seem to judge themselves as superior or inferior to others. Below is a list of things that do not make me either. Below that is what I feel truly makes the difference between great and small.
Things that do not make me inferior or superior:
- The color of my skin
- My (lack of, abundance of) religion
- The gender(s) of people I have slept with
- The number of people I have slept with
- Who I date
- Who I marry
- Whether or not I graduated college
- Whether or not I’ve had an abortion
- Choosing not to have my own biological children
- Having worked 70 hour work weeks
- Having become disabled
- Being on disability
- To me, “Greek Life” is Baklava and Ouzo
- How much I weigh
- What size my clothes are
- Stretch marks
- Hair color/style
- Being bipolar
- Having anxiety
- Being (completely not) able to cook
There are some that believe these things matter. I’m not one of them. Even that is not something that in and of itself makes us superior… but things I think do:
- Loving those that are different from you
- Loving those that are the same as well
- Caring about issues that don’t affect you personally… but affect others.
- Wanting to better myself
It’s not what we do for ourselves that helps to make us a superior person, it is what we do for others. It is seeing that there are people that are like us and unlike us and knowing that both sets of people deserve empathy and love.
If you don’t want to be judged for your mental illnesses, please consider what other prejudices you hold in your heart, and try to stop judging others for things they do not control either. We can always do better.